INDIA, TEXAS. India is on Farm Road 780 three miles east of Ferris in northeastern Ellis County. It was settled by A. J. Moyers in 1853 and known as Morgan until a post office began operation in 1892, and the name India was adopted. The post office remained open until 1904. One of the first cotton gins constructed in Ellis County was located in the community and operated as late as 1970. In 1890 India had a population of 150. The population was eighty-four during most of the first half of the twentieth century and and was reportedly twelve from 1977 to 2000.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "INDIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni06), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.