JACOBIA, TEXAS. Jacobia is on Farm Road 118 six miles northeast of Greenville in north central Hunt County. The Concord Baptist Church was organized in 1844 and had a building in the area when the community was established in the 1850s as Jacob's Prairie. The name was from an early settler. By 1887 the community had been renamed Jacobia and had a population of 200, a grist and flour mill, a cotton gin, and a post office. The post office closed in 1903. The twentieth century brought a decline in the population and business activity in Jacobia, due largely to the growth of nearby Greenville. The population fell from 132 in 1904 to seventy-five in 1933 and twenty-five in 1964; the settlement reported no businesses after 1964. From the mid-1960s to 2000 the population was reported as sixty.
W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "JACOBIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnj01), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.