JAMESTOWN, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)
JAMESTOWN, TEXAS (Newton County). Jamestown, on Farm Road 1012 seventy-five miles northeast of Beaumont in western Newton County, in 1911 received a post office, named for longtime resident, merchant, and first postmaster James W. Westbrook. Jamestown's population consisted largely of timber workers, farmers, and stock raisers. Its post office was discontinued after 1930, and its population, estimated at fifty in the mid-1930s, peaked during the 1960s at 130. In 1990 it was estimated at seventy, where it remained in 2000.
Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "JAMESTOWN, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnj02), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.