JEAN, TEXAS. Jean, at the intersection of State Highway 114 and Farm Road 1769, in north central Young County, was settled in 1875 by rancher S. B. Lamar, who built a schoolhouse and a store there. His son, James Lamar, became the first postmaster and named the settlement after his sweetheart. Jean was moved one mile to the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad when the line was built through the area in 1903. R. F. Willis donated land for the new townsite and gave the Trinity Townsite Company alternate blocks. G. G. Cantrill built a store that was also used for the railroad station. By 1940 Jean had 300 inhabitants and five stores. In 1980 and 1990 the population was estimated as ninety-one. The population grew to 110 in 2000.
Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "JEAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnj05), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.