JEDDO, TEXAS. Jeddo, nine miles south of Rosanky in the southern tip of Bastrop County, was founded by 1874, when a post office was established. Five years later the community was described as a thriving village. In 1890 the population was estimated at twenty, and Jeddo had one general store. The next year the settlement had two schools, one with thirty black students and the other with twenty-nine white students. Population estimates took an unexplained rise later in the decade, with 560 reported in 1896 and 559 in 1904. But the community quickly faded to a population of twelve in 1914, then dropped from population lists until about 1933, when ten people and two businesses were reported. In 1919 area residents voted for a school tax and had a school building erected. In 1930 the eight-grade school had two teachers and thirty pupils. The post office closed in 1927. From 1939 to 2000 the population was estimated at seventy-five.
William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "JEDDO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnj06), accessed July 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.