LANEPORT, TEXAS. Laneport is on Farm Road 428 and the San Gabriel River, just east of Granger Lake and Dam in eastern Williamson County. It was named for the Lane family, early settlers. It once had a church, a school, a gin, a newspaper, general and grocery stores, blacksmith shops, and doctors. In 1891 a post office opened in the community with Walter J. Lane as postmaster. It closed in 1907. Laneport was close enough to the community of Hare that the two settlements shared schools, churches, and the services of business and professional men. In 1936 a debate began about building a dam on the San Gabriel; it was not settled until 1973, when construction began. The lake was originally called Laneport Lake, but the name was changed to Granger Lake in 1975. Construction was finished in 1980. The population of Laneport was ten in 1936, sixty in 1970, and twenty-four by 1984. In 1990 and 2000 it was reported as sixty again.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Clara Stearns Scarbrough, "LANEPORT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl10), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.