LOIS, TEXAS. Lois is twelve miles south of Gainesville on Farm Road 2848 in southern Cooke County. The community developed in the late 1800s, and between 1897 and 1904 it had a post office. In 1936 Lois had a school, a factory, two other businesses, two churches, and a number of scattered dwellings. The population was estimated at fifty. In 1943 the Lois school was consolidated into the Valley View school district. By 1963 Lois had a factory, a business, a church, and an estimated population of sixty. The 1978 county highway map showed a church and a number of scattered dwellings at Lois. In 2000 the population was twenty.
Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "LOIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl37), accessed July 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.