LONGPOINT, TEXAS. Longpoint is on Farm Road 390 (old La Bahía Roadqv) and Old Rocky Creek, ten miles northwest of Brenham and eighty-five miles east of Austin in northwestern Washington County. The name was written Long Point until the twentieth century. The settlement was founded in 1850 on land originally owned by Stephen F. Austin. Botanist Gideon Lincecum lived there on his plantation, Mount Olympus, from 1848 to 1874. Lincecum named his plantation for its high ground, overlooking Yegua Creek valley, which ended in a triangular point formed by a live oak grove. He was attracted to the vicinity by its botanical diversity. On February 19, 1851, Montville postmaster Wayne Bishop changed the post office name to Long Point; it may have stayed at the same site.
The Long Point community developed into a town. Its Wood Hotel had a culinary reputation throughout Texas. Lincecum and his son Lysander practiced medicine at Long Point. In 1856 Chauncey B. Shepard of Long Point was elected to represent the Twentieth District in the Texas Senate. Lincecum and fellow War of 1812 veteran Sam Lauderdale led the Long Point Minute Men's march from Mount Vernon (Washington County) to Brenham in December 1860 to support the county secession movement. In 1863 Long Point blacks organized a Confederate ball to benefit Texas soldiers.
The Civil War and Reconstructionqqv resulted in economic dislocation and a temporary population loss, but the town recovered rapidly. By 1882 Long Point had a school, a church, a broom factory, a commercial section, and processing industries based on the area's cotton, corn, and lumber production. As a supply point for northwestern Washington County, Long Point flourished during the early 1880s and reached a population of 500. The town's decline was hastened by the construction of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. Gay Hill, the new area distribution center, displaced Long Point as northwestern Washington County's commercial and processing hub. The population in Long Point fell to 146 by 1890; processing industries decreased in number and diversity by 1896. The town's post office closed in 1907. Long Point's commercial activity, still substantial in 1896, declined by 1914.
By the early twentieth century Longpoint was a small community. Its population was estimated at 146 from 1890 to 1960. From 1970 to 1990 it was eighty. In 1988 Longpoint had two stores and more commercial activity than Gay Hill. Ranching was the major economic activity. The population remained at eighty in 2000.
Lois Wood Burkhalter, Gideon Lincecum, 1793–1874: A Biography (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1965). Charles F. Schmidt, History of Washington County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "LONGPOINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl44), accessed June 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.