LONGWORTH, TEXAS. Longworth, on Plum Creek and Farm Road 57, eight miles southeast of Roby in south central Fisher County, was established in 1902 and was named for the F. M. Long Ranch. In 1907 the Long Ranch was divided into farm tracts and sold to a Bohemian colony that had moved there from Pennsylvania. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway began serving the area in 1907. County gypsum deposits were processed beginning in 1909 at Plasterco, near Hamlin, and many Longworth residents were employed by the plant. In 1923 a gypsum deposit was discovered near Longworth. The town in 1948 had a school, a church, five businesses, and a population of 200. By 1980 its population had dropped to sixty-five, and it was reported at that level through 2000.
Lora Blount, A Short History of Fisher County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1947). E. L. Yeats and E. H. Shelton, History of Fisher County, (n.p.: Feather, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LONGWORTH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl45), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.