LINWOOD, TEXAS. Linwood is at the junction of State Highway 21 and Farm Road 241, twelve miles southeast of Rusk in southeastern Cherokee County. The area was first settled around 1832 by Joseph Durst and his wife, Delilah (Dill). A settlement known as Lockranzie grew up nearby, but in 1851 the Lockranzie post office was moved a half mile east and renamed Linwood. James H. Durst and Ann Harrison Terrell platted the new town and promoted it as a port on the Angelina River. River traffic failed to materialize, but Linwood quickly developed into a commercial center. Nacogdoches merchants Charles Chevallier and Charles and Henry Raguet established stores there in the 1850s. Other early residents included R. W. Mitchell, George Whitfield Terrell, and his son George B. Terrell. In the early 1880s the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad bypassed the community, and most of its stores and residents moved to nearby Alto on the railroad. Its post office was closed in 1903, but as late as 1936 Linwood still had two businesses, a church, a school, and a reported population of ten. Its remaining businesses eventually closed, and in 1990 Linwood was a dispersed farming community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LINWOOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl53), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.