MARSTON, TEXAS. Marston is on a road west of State Spur 116 and three miles north of Livingston in southeastern Polk County. The site had an older community called Norma, but the area was opened to outside interests after the construction of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway in 1880. Robert L. Collier built a store near a sawmill operated by Jesse Leggett on the rail line and in 1901 secured a post office, which he called Marston. As the lumber industry of East Texas weakened, many residents moved out of the area, and by the early 1940s only fifteen people remained at Marston. A similar population estimate was given in the mid-1980s. In 1990 the population was reported as twenty-five. The population remained at twenty-five in 2000.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "MARSTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm14), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.