MARYNEAL, TEXAS. Maryneal was on Farm roads 608 and 1170 and the Santa Fe line in south central Nolan County. It was established in 1907. The site developed as a station on the newly constructed Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. Sources suggest that it was named for Mary Neal, a stockholder of the railroad; or for the first girl born at the community; or for the combined names of Neal S. Doran, a trustee of the Orient Land Company, and his wife, Mary. Maryneal had a school from 1904 until 1936, when the structure burned. At that time the area schools were consolidated. J. D. Roper started the first store there in 1906. In 1907, before Maryneal was platted, settlers received mail at the Decker post office, which was later relocated in the new town. Soon after its development the community had a hotel, a post office, a gin, a bank, a cotton yard, lumberyards, stockpens, and churches. In 1909 Sweetwater beat Maryneal 784 to 496 in an election to be county seat. Maryneal had a population of 100, a post office, a store, and a gas station in 1940. The town might have faded away if the Lone Star Cement Plant had not been established nearby in 1951. In 1980 the population of Maryneal was seventy-five, and the town had a post office, a store, and gas station. It continued to report a population of seventy-five in 1990. By 2000 the population dropped to sixty-one.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980). E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "MARYNEAL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm16), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.