MCCAULLEY, TEXAS. McCaulley, on Farm Road 57 fourteen miles northeast of Roby in eastern Fisher County, was established in 1893 and named for an early settler, R. L. McCaulley. There had been a post office called Taopi at the site since 1890. Pioneers included Dan and Frank Maberry. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway reached McCaulley in 1906, and the community prospered for a few years as the county's leading town. In time many residents moved to Hamlin, and several fires before 1920 damaged the business section, which was not rebuilt. In 1948 McCaulley had a post office, a school, three churches, and ten businesses. In 1980 through 2000 the population was ninety-six.
Lora Blount, A Short History of Fisher County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1947). E. L. Yeats and E. H. Shelton, History of Fisher County, (n.p.: Feather, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MCCAULLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm20), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.