MCCLANAHAN, TEXAS. McClanahan is on Farm Road 147 six miles northeast of Marlin in northeastern Falls County. A post office, named for a local landowner, operated there from 1887 to 1904. By 1890 the community had two general stores, a Baptist church, and 150 residents. The International-Great Northern Railroad built a section of track from Marlin to Waco in 1902, passing through McClanahan. A church, a school, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s, when the number of residents was given as seventy-six. Population estimates fell to a low of forty-three in the late 1960s, probably because the Missouri Pacific abandoned the railroad track through McClanahan in 1967. The population was reported at sixty from the 1970s through 1990. The population dropped to forty-two in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MCCLANAHAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm21), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.