MCCOOK, TEXAS. McCook is on Farm Road 681 thirty miles northwest of McAllen in west central Hidalgo County. The town was established around 1925. In 1936 McCook comprised a school district, a factory, a church, a post office, and a number of dwellings. The town had a population of forty and two businesses by 1941. In 1963 McCook still reported a population of forty and also included the Immaculate Conception Cemetery, a school, and dispersed dwellings. Its population reached a peak of 100 in 1964. In 1990 McCook was a dispersed rural community with a population of ninety-one and no reported businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.