MIDDLE WATER, TX
MIDDLE WATER, TEXAS. Middle Water, on U.S. Highway 54 in central western Hartley County, was first established in 1888 as a division of the XIT Ranch. This division, which derived its name from nearby Middle Water Creek, was used for breeding purposes and was a cull ranch, where undesirable cattle were cut out from other division herds. The town was established as a shipping point on the Rock Island line (see ROCK ISLAND SYSTEM). In 1940 it had one business and a population of twenty-five. By 1984 its population had decreased to ten, due mainly to the proximity of Dalhart, only twenty miles away. In 1990 its population was still reported as ten.
J. Evetts Haley, The XIT Ranch of Texas and the Early Days of the Llano Estacado (Chicago: Lakeside, 1929; rpts., Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1953, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jennie Rose Powell, "MIDDLE WATER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm37), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.