MILDRED, TEXAS. Mildred, on U.S. Highway 287 seven miles southeast of Corsicana in south central Navarro County, was established as a stop on the Texas and Brazos Valley line in the late 1890s. A post office opened at the community in 1897. After oil was discovered in 1900 in the Powell-Mildred field, the town boomed briefly, its population growing to several hundred. By 1905, however, the boom had ended, and the town began to decline. In 1907 its post office closed, and by the mid-1930s Mildred had half a dozen stores, a church, a school, and a few houses; the population in 1936 was sixty-one. After World War II the stores closed, and by the mid-1960s the site had a school, a church, and a number of houses. Later its population began to grow again, and in 1990 the number of residents was reported at 173. In 2000 the population more than doubled to 405.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (4 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MILDRED, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm42), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.