MILLERSVIEW, TEXAS. Millersview is at the junction of Farm roads 765 and 2134, near the West Fork of Mustang Creek and twelve miles southeast of Paint Rock in Concho County. It was named for Edward D. Miller, who, with Henry Barr, founded the settlement. The first school in the area was called the Mustang school and was on Mustang Creek seven miles northeast of Millersview. In 1907–08 the school in Millersview had ninety-two students and two teachers. A post office opened at the community in 1903 and was still open in the early 1990s. In 1908 promotional literature for the county credited Millersview with a windmill and a Woodmen of the World lodge. The population had reached 160 by 1914, when the town had three churches, three mercantile stores, a grocer, a gin, and a grain, hay, and feed enterprise. The number of residents was reported as 300 by 1931 but dropped to 100 by 1933; by 1939 it had risen again, to 250. In 1940 the school had eight teachers for elementary and high school grades. The population subsequently declined, in part because of the drought from 1950 to 1956. The high school was closed after the 1957–58 school year; four teachers taught the elementary classes in 1958–59. In 1963, with a reported population of 175, Millersview had five churches and four businesses, in addition to the school and the post office. By 1989 its school had been closed, and students attended classes in Eden. From 1970 to 2000 a population of seventy-five was reported at Millersview.
Concho Herald, Golden Anniversary Edition, October 11, 1940. W. C. Montgomery, Have You Ever Heard of the Great Concho Country? (Ballinger, Texas, 1908). Vernon Lee Rucker, A Proposed Reorganization of the Concho County, Texas, Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary M. Standifer, "MILLERSVIEW, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm44), accessed December 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.