MINTER, TEXAS. Minter is on Farm Road 196 six miles from Deport in southeastern Lamar County. It was named for Minter Parker and was originally known as Parker's Voting Box. The community was settled in 1882, when it established a post office that had semiweekly mail until 1925. By 1884 Minter had a population of thirty, a steam cotton gin and gristmill, a church, a district school, and a general store. The town had a physician by 1892 and phone connections by 1914. In 1936 Minter had a hotel, five other businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. From 1914 through the mid-1950s its population was estimated at 100. In 1963 Minter had a business, a cemetery, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 its population was estimated at seventy-eight. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Shannon Nunnelley, "MINTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm49), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.