MOSS HILL, TX
MOSS HILL, TEXAS. Moss Hill is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 105, fifty miles northwest of Beaumont in central Liberty County. It was established just before the Civil War and named for the Spanish moss that covered the trees in the dense forests of the area. Though the post office, opened in 1860, was discontinued in 1870, Moss Hill remained a center for farmers and ranchers of central Liberty County. Small groups of Alabama and Coushatta Indians also lived in the area during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. A voting precinct was established at Moss Hill in 1929. In the mid-1980s scattered businesses and residences marked the locale, which had a population of just under fifty. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was reported as forty-nine.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "MOSS HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm66), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.