MYKAWA, TEXAS. Mykawa is on the southern edge of the Houston metropolis in southern Harris County. It began with the arrival of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and was named for Shinpei Mykawa, a Japanese nurseryman who introduced rice growing in the area in 1906. A local post office operated from 1907 until 1933. In 1914 Mykawa had two general stores and a population of 200; in 1925 it had only twenty residents. In the mid-1930s, when nearby Mykawa oilfield was developed, the town had a population of 100 and a single business. These figures were still reported in the 1960s. After 1970, however, the town began to decline once more. By 1986 a trailer park and an abandoned railroad station were all that remained at the townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "MYKAWA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm76), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.