MORTON, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)
MORTON, TEXAS (Harrison County). Morton is a small rural community located near the intersection of State Highway 154 and Farm Road 2879 about nineteen miles northwest of Marshall in northwestern Harrison County. The settlement was named after the Morton family, who settled in the region. John V. Morton received a patent for more than 2,600 acres on May 18, 1880. In the 1930s the farming community had a school, two businesses, residences, and the Morton Baptist Church and cemetery. No population figures were available for Morton until 2000, when it reported seventy-five residents.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "MORTON, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm86), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.