MANKIN, TEXAS. Mankin is a small rural community located on State Highway 274 about sixteen miles west of Athens in western Henderson County near the Navarro County line. The settlement began in the late 1800s and was named for the Mankin family who lived in the area. Mankin Cemetery contains headstones that date back to the 1890s and includes the grave of Louisa Mankin, wife of William H. Mankin, who died on September 4, 1900. In the 1930s the community consisted of farms, churches, and the cemetery. In the early 1960s the Joe B. Hogsett Dam and Cedar Creek Reservoir were constructed just east of town. Mankin had a population of twenty in 2000.
Mankin Cemetery Transcription website (http://www.rootsweb.com/~txhender/Cemeteries/Mankin/MankinEnu.htm), accessed August 24, 2004.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "MANKIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm87), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.