MOUNT HERMAN, TX
MOUNT HERMAN, TEXAS. Mount Herman is a small rural community located on State Highway 7 about nine miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County. The settlement began sometime by the late 1800s, and Mount Herman School was established in 1893. During the first half of the twentieth century the school served as the social center of the community and was a popular gathering place for events such as box suppers and dances. During the 1930s Mount Herman (sometimes spelled Mount Hermon on maps) had a church, school, business, and many farms and homes. The school closed by 1954 when Mount Herman District No. 49 was consolidated with the Center Independent School District. In 2000 the community had a population of fifty-six. Mount Herman Cemetery, in use throughout the twentieth century, still served local families.
Mt. Herman School website (http://www.rootsweb.com/~txshelby/schools/mthermanschool.htm), accessed October 4, 2004. Mildred Cariker Pinkston, People, Places, Happenings: Shelby County, Texas (Center, Texas: Pinkston, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "MOUNT HERMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm88), accessed December 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.