MITCHELL, TX (EASTLAND COUNTY)
MITCHELL, TEXAS (Eastland County). Mitchell is on a country road five miles southwest of Cisco in western Eastland County. The community, which was presumably named for the Mitchell family that possessed the original land grant, was settled about 1879. In the first half of the twentieth century the site was referred to both as Mitchell and as the Dan Horn Community. It had a school in 1904, and in 1940 it had the Mitchell Baptist Church, scattered dwellings, and a school building, though records indicate that the school was no longer in use by that time. In 1964 the population of Mitchell was estimated at ten. Mitchell had a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings in 1966, and its population was estimated at twenty-six in 1968 and at forty-six from 1970 through 2000.
Eastland County Historical Book Committee, Gateway to the West: Eastland County History, Vol. 1 (Eastland, Texas, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MITCHELL, TX (EASTLAND COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnmfw), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.