NAVARRO MILLS, TX
NAVARRO MILLS, TEXAS. Navarro Mills, on Farm Road 667 near Navarro Mills Lake sixteen miles southwest of Corsicana in western Navarro County, was established in the early 1850s and was the site of the first corn mill in the county. A post office operated there from 1874 until 1891. Two schools were open by 1906, one with thirty-one white students and one with forty-two black students. In the mid-1930s Navarro Mills had a store, a church, and a number of houses. The estimated population in 1936 was twenty-five. During the 1950s the town grew to a population of fifty, with two businesses. By the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Navarro Mills was a dispersed community with an estimated population of fifty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (4 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NAVARRO MILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn03), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.