NAVARRO, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)
NAVARRO, TEXAS (Navarro County). Navarro, on Farm Road 3243 eight miles southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County, was established in the early 1880s. It was originally known as Hopewell after the Hopewell Baptist Church. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of thirty-three. When the Houston and Texas Central Railway bypassed the community in the early 1900s, the town was moved to a site on the railroad and was renamed Navarro. A post office opened in 1908, and by 1914 Navarro had a cotton gin, three general stores, two blacksmiths, and an estimated population of fifty. By the mid-1930s the population had grown to seventy-five, and the town had six stores, a school, two churches, and a number of houses. After World War II the stores closed, and by the mid-1960s only a school and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Navarro was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 193. The population was 191 in 2000.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (4 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NAVARRO, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn04), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.