NEGLEY, TEXAS. Negley is ten miles north of Clarksville in north central Red River County. Settlement began in the 1880s around a sawmill owned by W. C. Gough, and by 1892, when the post office was established, the community had been named Negley for Oliver P. Negley, an early settler. The post office was discontinued in 1908, opened again four years later, and discontinued once more in the 1960s. Negley reached its highest reported population of 100 in 1927 before falling to twenty-five in 1933. Since the 1930s its population has remained stable. In 1968 Negley had an estimated population of thirty. In 1986 it had no rated businesses. From 1990 through 2000 the population was 136.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "NEGLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn09), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.