NELTA, TEXAS. Nelta is on Farm Road 71 fourteen miles northeast of Sulphur Springs in northeastern Hopkins County. It was first settled by Howard Hargrave in 1843. A post office called Pleasant Hill was opened by Daniel Hudson in 1849 and closed in 1866. Another post office named Nelta was granted in 1884. By 1892 the community had a mill and cotton gin, a general store, a physician, a barber, and a population of twenty-five. A public school was in operation by 1905, when it had an enrollment of forty-six. In 1906 the post office was closed. During the mid-1930s Nelta had two churches, a cemetery, a store, and a number of scattered houses. The school was later transferred to Sulphur Bluff, but in the early 1960s Nelta still had two churches, a cemetery, and a store. In 1990 its estimated population was thirty-six. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "NELTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn11), accessed August 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.