NORTHRUP, TEXAS. Northrup is on Farm Road 448 seven miles south of Giddings in southwestern Lee County. It was settled in the 1850s and became a station on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway around 1890, serving as a shipping point for the nearby town of Serbin and known as Serbin Switch. A post office opened in 1894 and was named for R. H. Northrup, an official with the railroad. In 1900 the town had a population of fifty, mostly Wends, and a German Lutheran Church, a general store, a cotton gin, a blacksmith, and a beer house. In 1930 the post office was replaced by general delivery from Giddings. In the mid-1930s Northrup had five businesses and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1940 it had an estimated population of 100 and four businesses. The school was annexed to the Giddings Independent School District in the early 1950s. In 1990 the population of Northrup was estimated at seventy-one. The population remained the same in 2000.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NORTHRUP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn37), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.