O'FARRELL, TEXAS. O'Farrell is on Farm Road 995 nine miles west of Atlanta in northern Cass County. It was settled in the 1870s, and a post office was established there in 1886 and remained in operation until 1905. In 1890 the community had a post office and store run by W. S. Thompson, with a Baptist church and cemetery nearby. By 1896 it included two stores, a gin, and the church. The first population estimates for the town were recorded in the 1940s, when it had two rated businesses and a population of forty. In 1983 O'Farrell had a church, a cemetery, a town hall, and a population estimated at twenty. Its population continued to be reported at twenty in 1990 and 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "O'FARRELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno01), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.