OCEE, TEXAS. Ocee is on Hog Creek and Farm Road 185, six miles east of Crawford in west central McLennan County. The area was settled shortly after the Civil War by families from Arkansas, Mississippi, and Georgia. The community had a gin, two stores, a Baptist church, and a blacksmith shop. A post office was established in 1895 with Flem Ewing as postmaster and was discontinued in 1902. The office may have been named for Ewing's infant son, O. C. Children from Ocee attended school in the Highland Independent School District after it was formed in 1917. From the 1930s through the 1950s the population of Ocee was reported at thirty-nine. From the early 1960s to 2000 it was thirty-five.
Martin Luther Bannister, The Historical Development of the Public School System of McLennan County (M.A. thesis, Baylor University, 1945). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981). Vertical File, Texas Collection, Baylor University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "OCEE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno08), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.