OKRA, TEXAS. Okra, on Farm Road 1027 near Elm Creek in south central Eastland County, was named for the vegetable. Settlement began in 1880 on lands made available by the Texas and Pacific Railway. The post office was established in 1899, and a gin was built a year later. The population was fifty in 1914, forty in 1940, and twenty in 1980 through 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."OKRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno10), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.