ORIENT, TEXAS. Orient, in northeastern Tom Green County, derived its name from its location on the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. A post office was established there in 1909, and in 1914 a general store was operating. The local school had two teachers in 1930. The population of Orient was twenty in 1925 but only ten in 1934. The 1936 county highway map showed at Orient one business and scattered dwellings, with Skinner School, Wooland Station, and a mining site nearby. Nearby oil discoveries staved off Orient's demise, though its post office was discontinued in 1964, one of its two businesses was gone by 1965, and the other was gone by 1970. The population increased to forty in 1953 and remained at that level into the 1980s, when only a few houses and the abandoned Wooland railroad station marked the townsite. In 2000 the population was still listed at forty.
Julia Grace Bitner, The History of Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Clarence George Parsons, Proposed Plan for the Reorganization of the Schools in Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). San Angelo Standard Times, August 29, 1954.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "ORIENT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno16), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.