OSAGE, TX (CORYELL COUNTY)
OSAGE, TEXAS (Coryell County). Osage is on Bluff Creek by the McLennan county line in eastern Coryell County. It derives its name either from the Osage Indians or for the osage orange (bois d'arc) trees abundant in the area. Settlement began around 1860. Osage had a school until 1947, when it was consolidated with the Crawford Independent School District. The Osage post office operated from 1878 until 1965. The community had several general stores, a gin, and a smithy, but a fire destroyed the businesses in 1936. A Baptist church there has been in continuous use as a place of worship for more than 100 years. In 1980 through 2000 the population was thirty.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Sylvia Edwards, "OSAGE, TX (CORYELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno17), accessed July 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.