PALAVA, TEXAS. Palava, on a county road three miles east of State Highway 70 and twelve miles southeast of Roby in south central Fisher County, was originally called Center Point. The post office opened around 1900, and the town served as a trade and cotton-ginning community, with stores, schools, and churches. A gradual decline began in the 1930s. By 1940 the post office was discontinued, and the town had a population of 100 and two businesses. By 1970 only three houses were left. The population was twelve in 1980 and 1990.
E. L. Yeats and E. H. Shelton, History of Fisher County, (n.p.: Feather, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PALAVA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp02), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.