PALUXY, TEXAS. Paluxy is on State Highway 51 fifteen miles southwest of Granbury in Hood County. It was in Erath County until 1866, when Hood County was carved out of the region. The Paluxy post office was established in 1858 and was still in operation in 1993. The town was named for the Paluxy River, which runs through it. There has been some dispute, however, on the origin of the word "Paluxy." Initially, the area was called Pulltight, because of the difficulty travelers had crossing the river. Later, it was referred to as Poloxeyville, Paluxieville, Baloxey, and finally, Paluxy. During the early 1860s Indian raids were common. John Meek helped establish the community and the county, and became one of the first four county commissioners. A gristmill was constructed by a man named Goather. He later sold it, and the mill was then run by Dan Himmens (Himmons) and J. H. Haley for many years. The business was utilized by many people in the area, and it brought new citizens to the community. There have been only a few small businesses in the town, and the surrounding area is farm and ranch land. In 1887 the population of Paluxy was estimated at 100. It was 164 from 1900 to 1970, when it decreased to seventy-six. This total remained the same through 2000. The residents of Paluxy are served by the Hood County News and KPAR-AM radio, both out of nearby Granbury.
Thomas T. Ewell, History of Hood County (Granbury, Texas: Gaston, 1895; rpt., Granbury Junior Woman's Club, 1956). C. L. Hightower, ed., Hood County in Picture and Story (Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1970; rpt. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kristi Strickland, "PALUXY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp05), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.