PHILLIPSBURG, TEXAS. Phillipsburg is on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and State Highway 36, five miles southeast of Brenham in extreme southern Washington County. A post office opened there in 1889 and closed in 1904. Despite the growth of nearby Pesch in the late 1880s, Phillipsburg was the most significant settlement in the vicinity by 1891. By 1890 it was a station on the GC&SF, and by 1896 it had become a supply point. St. Paul's Lutheran Church was constructed there in 1901, and in 1921 Phillipsburg entered the Texas Lutheran synod. In 1936 the community reported a population of 100 and one business. By 1952 Phillipsburg residents numbered forty, and by 1970 the community reported no businesses. In 1988 St. Paul's was still active. Phillipsburg has been predominantly German throughout its history. Through 2000 its population was still recorded as forty.
Hans Krause, Geschichte der ersten Evangelisch-Lutherischen Synode von Texas (1926).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "PHILLIPSBURG, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp27), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.