PINE FOREST, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
PINE FOREST, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Pine Forest, a farming community in southeastern Hopkins County six miles north of Pickton on Farm Road 269, also known as Mount Pisgah, was first settled in 1853 by Joseph T. Minter. Minter donated land for a Methodist church that was organized a few years later by Methodist minister P. B. Bailey. The community was originally known by the biblical name of Mount Pisgah, but the name was later changed to Pine Forest. A post office under the name Pine Forest operated from 1889 until 1905; Richard M. Askew was the first postmaster. In 1890 Pine Forest had a church, a school, a steam cotton gin and gristmill, a general store, a blacksmith, and a population of fifty. The public school had an enrollment of forty-seven in 1905. In the mid-1930s Pine Forest had two schools, two stores, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. The population in 1940 was seventy-two. By the mid-1970s the stores and schools had closed, but the Methodist and Church of Christ churches continued to operate. The population was fifty-one in 1990, where it remained in 2000.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "PINE FOREST, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp35), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.