PLACID, TEXAS. Placid is on Farm roads 1028 and 2315, sixteen miles northeast of Brady in northeastern McCulloch County. It was established by J. A. Gault soon after the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway was built in 1903. Gault and his wife gave land for the school, a cemetery, and a Baptist church. A post office opened in 1908. By 1914 the town also had a general store, a cotton gin, and a population of 100. For entertainment, residents sometimes held a baseball game on the town square. The schools were consolidated with the Rochelle district in 1939. The population in Placid fell from 110 in 1945 to fifty in 1949 and thirty-two in 1990. The population remained at thirty-two in 2000.
Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "PLACID, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp42), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.