PRIMROSE, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
PRIMROSE, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). According to one source Primrose, seventeen miles southeast of Canton on Farm Road 314 in southeast Van Zandt County, was established by J. D. Johnson, who founded a store at the site in the early 1900s and named the settlement for the local wildflowers. The community had a post office from 1902 to 1910, after which mail was delivered from Ben Wheeler. During the 1930s the population rose from ten to fifty, and the community had a school, two churches, two businesses, a cemetery, and several residences. Local farmers raised vegetables, fruit, and nursery stock. By the 1950s the local school had been consolidated with the Van Independent School District. The population was estimated at twenty in 1965 and at twenty-four in 1974 through 2000. State highway maps indicated two churches and a single business at the site from 1965 to 1987.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "PRIMROSE, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp55), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.