PUERTO RICO, TX
PUERTO RICO, TEXAS. Puerto Rico, on Farm Road 1017 and U.S. Highway 281 in northwestern Hidalgo County, was settled by Mexican ranch families before 1920, when William Dougherty and Sam Lane began to promote townsites in the area. Lane School operated on Sam Lane's ranch until 1955. Puerto Rico had two businesses and a population of forty in 1947. The community never had a post office; its mail was sent through Linn. In 1990 a vacant wooden store building and a house used on the weekends by the Zamora and Gomez families were at the site. In 2000 the population was ninety-one.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PUERTO RICO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp58), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.