RAMIREZ, TEXAS. Ramirez is on State Highway 339 and Cibolo Creek seventeen miles south of Benavides in southern Duval County. The town was reportedly named for José Ramírez, a descendant of Rafael Ramírez, who was granted the land in 1856. A post office operated at the site from 1910 until 1918 with Pedro Chapa as postmaster. A second post office operated from 1925 until 1944. In 1936 Ramirez had a population estimated at twenty-five, two schools, and two businesses. By the late 1940s the population had grown to an estimated forty, and in 1969 the town had scattered dwellings, a church, a school, and a cemetery. In 2000 the population was forty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "RAMIREZ, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr06), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.