RAYLAND, TEXAS. Rayland, on Highway 98 in the northeastern corner of Foard County, was founded in 1885 by P. S. and James S. Ray and granted a post office in 1887. In 1908 the post office was moved to Antelope Springs, a trading post on the Hardeman-Wilbarger county line 3½ miles east, but it retained the name Rayland. A Rayland school was built in 1899 and, after several relocations, closed in 1949. The post office closed in 1920. In 1940 the town had eighty residents, three businesses, and two churches. The population was thirty in 1980 through 2000.
Bailey Phelps, They Loved the Land: Foard County History (Quanah, Texas: Quanah Tribune-Chief, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "RAYLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr12), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.