REAGOR SPRINGS, TX
REAGOR SPRINGS, TEXAS. Reagor Springs is on U.S. Highway 287 five miles southeast of Waxahachie in central Ellis County. The area was settled by the family of Southerland Mayfield in 1844 under the name Reagers. The settlement served as a postal station from March 18 to September 26, 1878. Its name was probably derived from that of John Reagor, a pioneer settler who had come to the region in 1850. In 1882 the community again received a post office, this time under the name Ray. In 1906, when the Texas and Brazos Valley Railroad arrived, the community changed its name once more, this time to Reagor Springs. Its post office was discontinued in that year. The population of the community was twenty-one in 1933, ninety in 1964, and forty-five in 1986 through 2000.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). Memorial and Biographical History of Ellis County (Chicago: Lewis, 1892; rpt., as Ellis County History, Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "REAGOR SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr15), accessed May 26, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.