RHEA MILLS, TX
RHEA MILLS, TEXAS. Rhea Mills is a farming community at the intersection of Farm roads 2478 and 1461, six miles northwest of McKinney in northwestern Collin County. The community began in 1857, when brothers W. A. and J. C. Rhea built a flour and corn mill near the site. The original community name was Rhea's Mills; it was changed to Rhea Mills in early 1892. A post office was established there in 1876 and was closed in 1907, when mail was routed through McKinney. For most of its history Rhea Mills served as a trade and supply center for area farmers. Through 1990, the population of the community was never reported as more than 100, and from 1940 through 1990 it was estimated at just under fifty. In 2000 the population was forty-seven.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "RHEA MILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr23), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.