ROCK HILL, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
ROCK HILL, TEXAS (Wood County). Rock Hill is near Farm Road 2966 seven miles north of Quitman in northwestern Wood County and extends two miles farther north near the intersection of Farm roads 2966 and 515 (the latter road is known locally as the Coke Road). The community was reportedly named for a local geological formation, and the area was settled as early as 1850, when Andrew Gilbreath moved there. By 1870 a school existed at Rock Hill on Coke Road; that same year a Baptist church was organized at the school. In 1884 a Rock Hill public school district was established, and in 1892 a Baptist church was constructed; that year the church had four members, but beginning around 1900 its average annual membership was 170. By 1905 the Rock Hill school had seventy-three white and fifty-seven black students. The school later moved to the intersection of Farm Road 2966 and County Road 1370. The 1936 county highway map included Rock Hill, and at that time the community reported a population of ten and had two businesses and a number of dwellings. By 1945 the population had risen to twenty; it continued to be reported at that level into the late 1980s. Sometime after 1959 nearby Lake Fork Creek was dammed to form Lake Fork Reservoir, the eastern bank of which comes within 2½ miles of the community. In 1960 Rock Hill consisted of two churches, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered dwellings. Both churches were shown on county highway maps in the late twentieth century. A Texas Historical Commission marker was erected in 1970 for Rock Hill Baptist Church. The population of Rock Hill was reported as twenty-one in 1990. No population figures were available for 2000 and 2010.
Historical Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. Wood County Democrat, October 29, 1936. Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "ROCK HILL, TX (WOOD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr36), accessed October 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 12, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.