ROMNEY, TEXAS. Romney, on U.S. Highway 183 in central Eastland County, was settled in 1880 by J. W. White, who named the community for his hometown in West Virginia. Other early settlers were A. J. Fembling and a Mr. Ballard. In 1890 T. D. Freeman was made postmaster of the newly established post office, which operated until 1931. By 1904 Romney had a school, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and an economy dependent on agriculture. The arrival of the boll weevil in Eastland County around 1914 arrested growth of the community as a ginning center, and although in 1969 the town still had a school, two general stores, and a gas station, between 1940 and 1980 the population dropped from twenty to twelve. Through 2000 the population was still a reported twelve.
Ruby Pearl Ghormley, Eastland County, Texas: A Historical and Biographical Survey (Austin: Rupegy, 1969). Carolyne Lavinia Langston, History of Eastland County (Dallas: Aldridge 1904).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "ROMNEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr40), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.