ROUND PRAIRIE, TX
ROUND PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Round Prairie, at the junction of State Highway 309 and Farm Road 635, eighteen miles south of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County, was settled around 1900. A store opened there before 1895, and by 1906 two schools were in operation with a combined enrollment of 113. In the mid-1930s Round Prairie had four stores, a church, and a number of houses. Its estimated population in 1936 was ten. After World War II most of the businesses closed, and the school was consolidated with that of Kerens. By the mid-1960s only a single store and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Round Prairie was a dispersed community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ROUND PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr46), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.