ROUNDUP, TEXAS. Roundup, is on U.S. Highway 84, Farm Road 2130, and the Santa Fe Railroad, seventeen miles southeast of Littlefield in northeastern Hockley County. It was originally on the Spade Ranch and developed when the Santa Fe established a switch for shipping cattle, cotton, and grain in 1912. Railroad official W. H. Simpson suggested the name. The population was fifty in 1948, when the community had a gin, a store, an elevator, and a section house. The population was twenty-seven in 1980 and 1990. In 2000 the population dropped to twenty. Children attend school in Anton.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. S. McKay, "ROUNDUP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr49), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.